My Music Video

My Outside Digipak Panels

My Outside Digipak Panels

My Inside Digipak Panels

My Inside Digipak Panels

Please click the image below to view our finished website

Thursday 9 November 2017

R+P Post 33: Reflections on my role and contribution during Research and Planning

Overall, I think that as a group we all worked very well together during the research and planning stage, each of us playing to our strengths. Below I have summarised my personal contribution.

Lyric Analysis

As Cry Me A River is one of my favourite songs, I found it easy to break down each lyric and pin-point what emotion worked best for it and how that would translate into our music video. This was useful when it came to filming the test shoot as it gave Laith emotions he could portray for each line and section of the song to get an authentic performance.
Below is a picture of me putting together the lyric analysis.




Timeline

As the timeline and storyboard were being done at roughly the same time, we split our group based on strengths as to who should do what, and I took lead on the timeline. To be as organised as possible and to ensure that everyone's ideas were incorporated, before creating the actual finished timeline, we sat down and decided as a group roughly what shots would be in each section. I then went away and pinned this down into each individual shot with the exact timings and lyrics to match. I also finalised how we were shortening the song as its original length is too long for this project.


Creating our timeline

Rehearsals

Alongside Meera, I helped choreograph the dancing in the video and teach it to the boys.


Filming and directing

As Laith is in nearly every shot, Meera and I took turns filming and directing his lip-sync and dance shots. During the test shoot, as I have quite a steady hand and really enjoy using the camera, I filmed the hand held shots of Laith's lip-sync as well as acting as performance director, helping Laith portray the emotions needed.
On camera, checking performance
Hand held shot





Performing in the video

Throughout the video I am in some dance shots, crossover narrative shots and conceptual shadow shots with Laith and our extra actor, Adam. Some of the shots with both me and Laith in were quite hard to shoot as Meera was having to do everything else by herself but as a group we managed to make it work, with Laith and I stepping out to help set up as much of the shot as we could beforehand. Also, Meera and I both dance with the same set up in the video and as we both come from dance backgrounds this role really suited us and we really enjoyed performing. 
Example performance shot

Editing the test footage

I actually really like editing and enjoyed editing our rough cut and picking out the good parts as well as what we need to improve on for the main shoot. Doing the rough cut helped us learn the best and quickest ways to edit a music video and was a huge learning curve.

Laith and I editing

No comments:

Post a Comment